Zealous advocacy in divorce and custody cases

The practice of family law necessarily involves negotiation, trial preparation and trial strategy, knowledge of the law, knowledge of court procedures and rules, and the ability to take a client's goals and match them against the realities of a particular situation. That is, seeking to maximize achievement of the client's goals within the constraints of the facts, the evidence and the mechanics of the legal system -- here in one of the largest court systems in the country. 
I'm a hard-nosed litigator who fights for my clients.
With a younger attorney serving as my co-counsel, I recently fought an 8-day divorce and custody trial (successfully) in Cook County Circuit Court against one of the largest family-law firms in Chicago.  They admitted billing their client over $230,000 -- my client was billed less than $80,000. The other side appealed the trial court's decision, and the Appellate Court upheld it on every point - down to the last dollar of child support.  
While trials are costly, a settlement is not advisable in all cases.  Especially when the other side's demands clearly exceed what they are likely to obtain at trial.  To help a client decide whether a settlement or a trial is in his or her best interests (and the decision to settle or not is absolutely one for the client), I provide them the latest in Illinois legal research, an unvarnished analysis of the facts, and my best professional judgment of how a judge could rule on the issues -- with mention of outcomes ranging from very-good to very-bad. 
As someone who served five years as a staff attorney for a non-profit legal clinic here in Chicago, I know clients' resources are limited, and that they do not want to litigate in an endless cycle long into the future.  I work to achieve long-lasting finality in cases.  I apply kindness in good measure.  I provide my clients with emotional support. I give all clients my personal cell number, and I usually answer their calls on the first or second ring, seven days a week, day or night. 
Clearly, though, I'm not a therapist - that is a different set of skills. A therapist, seeking to lower a client's stress and achieve therapeutic goals, can validate a client's feelings or fears in a way that actually impedes acceptance of reality.  
I patiently but firmly help clients see reality, free of misconceptions or unreasonable expectations.  I speak clearly, and at times forcefully, in conveying this critical advice.  My sworn duty, to zealously advocate for clients, demands no less.  This is vitally important, and can involve telling clients exactly what they don't want to hear, at a time when they really don't want to hear it.  In other words, I am in the business of facing reality with eyes wide open, and helping clients to do the same.
I would be happy to analyze your particular situation.  
Calls are answered 7 days/week at  312-493-4241.
-- Kevin R. Johnson
    www.divorce.nu

Popular posts from this blog

Carefully Reviewing and Writing Divorce, Custody and Visitation Orders

Divorce, custody, attorneys, and psychological warfare countermeasures

Defend against psychological warfare - a Custody and Divorce Attorney's Perspective