Showing posts from May, 2015

Parents must be on-guard against custody petitions by non-parents

When a parent receives a 'custody' petition or motion by a non-parent (grandparent, aunt or uncle, for example) it is important to consult with an attorney immediately .  The parent has important legal rights - including seeking to exclude that non-parent from the court case entirely - that could expire in just a few days after receiving the custody petition or motion. So timing is very important .  If you are a parent and have received a custody petition or motion from anyone, but especially from a non-relative, please consult with an attorney immediately.  You have important rights and defenses that may expire quickly if you don't take immediate action. Please call me  312-493-4241 if you'd like to talk about your situation.  That's my cell phone, available 7 days/week and after business hours. - Kevin Johnson